Three Signs That the AC System Needs Repairs
The AC might work perfectly fine, keeping the home cool and maintaining a consistent temperature. However, some troubling signs could point to a deeper issue that needs immediate attention. One day, the AC could be fine, and the next, it could be out of commission entirely.
When a homeowner notices any of the following signs, they should consider contacting an AC professional:
Loud Sounds Coming from the Unit
- Screeching. No, that’s not a ghoul trapped in the AC system. It’s likely a problem with the motor fan or belt.
- Rattling sounds. Does it sound like a ghost is rattling its chains? Think again. There’s probably a component loose inside the AC system.
- Clicking. It’s okay to hear a clicking noise when the AC system turns on. However, if one hears constant clicking, this could be a problem with the thermostat.
- Hissing. This sound could have many causes. It may be time to replace the air filter. It could also mean there’s an air duct leak.
- Bubbling. That’s not a cauldron brewing. There could be an issue with the system’s drainage pipe.
Like most AC-related problems, odd sounds from the unit do not resolve themselves. They will only worsen with time, eventually leading to the system’s breakdown.
The Thermostat Isn’t Functioning Properly
- Unusual or incorrect temperature readings
- The AC unit quickly turns on and off
- Energy bills are higher than usual
- There isn’t a digital reading––even though the batteries have power
- The home doesn’t remain the same temperature for long
- It feels humid indoors
Most thermostats last about 10 years without having any issues. Beyond the 10-year mark, it could be time to consider a replacement. Many “smart” thermostats available on today’s market let homeowners have even more control over their house’s temperature settings.
Uneven Cooling Throughout the Home
With a functioning AC system, the home’s rooms should generally be the same temperature––or at least only differ by a few degrees. Uneven cooling could point to a problem with the AC system, such as:
- An old air filter. EnergyStar notes that one should replace their AC’s system air filter at least once every three months. Doing so lets the system “breathe.”
- Clogged air ducts. Air ducts are passageways that transfer cool air to different parts of the home. Clogged air ducts prevent air from flowing.
- An old AC system. The U.S. Department of Energy reports that the average AC system lasts about 10 to 20 years. Once a unit gets over the hill, it’s time to consider a replacement. Constant repairs can cost homeowners more money than just getting a new unit.
Nobody wants to deal with a broken air conditioner. If one suspects their AC system isn’t working as expected, they should consult a trained professional.
About Doctor Home Experts
The AC doctor is in! Doctor Home Experts has proudly served Pasadena homeowners for nearly 20 years. These professionals offer 24-hour service regarding heating, cooling, and everything else in between. These professionals offer more than countless five-star reviews; they have an A+ rating for the Better Business Bureau (BBB). For more information on AC service, one can call today to learn more.